Major jihadist plot averted in Germany
3 November, 2017
Security officials had averted a “major terrorist attack” in Germany, Interior Minister Thomas de Maiziere (pictured) said last Tuesday. German police has arrested in the north-eastern town of Schwerin a 19-year-old Syrian suspected of planning an Islamist-motivated bomb attack with the aim of killing as many people as possible. The man had been in contact online with jihadists, including one who described himself as a “soldier of the caliphate”, a spokeswoman for the federal prosecutor’s office said. According to the findings, Syrian Yamen A. had ordered chemicals over the internet to make an explosive device which could kill and injure many people. There were no indications that he was a member of a terrorist organisation, the office said. It did not say when he arrived in Germany. Searches were also carried out in Hamburg in connection with the case. The police spokesperson emphasized that there was no imminent danger to the public.
Germany has already been the target of multiple Islamist attacks. The most serious so far was the attack on a Christmas market in Berlin on 19 December 2016, when Tunisian national Anis Amri drove a lorry into the market, killing 12 people.
Meanwhile in Belgium last week, police arrested two people during raids, part of a terrorism investigation into a 2015 attack on a high-speed Thalys train between Brussels and Paris. At least two of the raids took place in the Belgian capital's Molenbeek district. "Neither explosives nor weapons were found," prosecutors said.